Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Powerful vow or foolish promise?


 

In Judges 11:29-40, Jephthah made a vow to God. If God would give him victory over his enemies, Jephthah would sacrifice as a burnt offering whoever comes out of his door upon his return home. God gave him the victory. His only child, daughter, came out of his door to greet him. Well, you can surmise the rest. 

I promised a long time friend that I would attend a certain meeting at church to get reacquainted with her. These meetings were held every two weeks. I regretted making the promise for the meetings were not a good fit for me. Recently God reminded me of my promise. He also informed me that I should fulfill my promises no matter how much they hurt. I went. I inferred from her reaction that she was not interested in pursuing the friendship. I was released from my promise. Next time, I won’t be hasty in making any promise I am not willing to keep.

Jephthah could have easily not made the promise. But he was passionate about defeating his enemies. He could have specified an animal as a sacrifice and not be vague with his vow. Who else would have been excited to see him more than his only daughter? Maybe his wife? His servants? Did Jephthah spend the rest of his life mourning? There are many could’ve, should’ve, and would’ve. But the one that perplexes me the most is that he could’ve avoided sacrificing his daughter altogether. In Leviticus 27, God shared how anyone who dedicated persons can redeem them with money.   Did Jephthah know this? “My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge,” Hosea 4:6.

O Lord, please protect us from our own stupidity and ignorance. Please reveal the truth. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment